It's All in the Jeans

This post is about jeans. My love-hate relationship with jeans. In my opinion, which I love to share, it should NOT be hard to find jeans to wear…but it is.


As a female, I have found it increasingly more difficult to find jeans that fit and look decent on me. Maybe it’s because I’m overly picky, or maybe I just want my jeans to do miraculous things for my body like make me look thinner or make my ass look good. Either way, I don’t think I’m asking too much.

Before my trip to Florida I went on the hunt for some jeans to wear…with no luck. Here’s how the trip went…I had searched online to see if the stores in my area carried the type of jeans I wanted (dark wash, design on the pocket, not super $$$). I found quite a few pairs at Macy’s, somewhere I have never shopped for jeans, so I figured I’d try them out. I went to the store and searched for literally 30 minutes just to find the jeans I’d seen online. When I finally did find them they only had sizes that were HUGE and only in super long or super short lengths. Really? I felt a twinge of defeat but I decided to continue the search elsewhere in the store. After another 40 minutes, I gave up. The twinge of defeat was a full-on defeatist attitude. I was pissed.

Then I decided to head to my stand-by jeans store, Old Navy. What a waste of a trip. I was trying to avoid Old Navy jeans because they don’t fit my waist, are typically too long, and make my ass look big and flat—no thank you. But I was optimistic and found a couple pairs to try on that were the type I was looking for. As I tried them on I found that they were all too long and the pockets might as well been on the sides of my thighs. Ugh! I did find that I am ok wearing the “short” length. Not gonna lie, that made me a little upset. I don’t think I’m “short” but apparently jean manufacturers think I am. I left Old Navy jeans-less but did get a cute top.

Across the parking lot I spotted Maurices. I’d seen some cute purses and tops there a while back and thought I’d give it a go. If I wasn’t buying jeans that day, I’d at least get some cute shirt to wear to work. I walked in and it was like…jeans heaven. Who knew? Well, probably people who shop there regularly, that’s who. I was skeptical but grabbed about 5 pairs to try on…in different washes and lengths, just to be sure.

Ummm, pretty sure I could have bought about 8 pairs of jeans that day, but I limited myself to 2 really good pairs. I love them. They even make my ass look pretty decent, if I do say so myself—not to mention leaving with a smile on my face and a bit of my self-esteem back. It’s funny how finding something that fits well and makes you look good has a big impact on your attitude and self-esteem. I have NEVER found a pair of jeans that has the right length AND fits my waist (without that huge gap in the back). I don’t even have to wear a belt. I really am in Jean Heaven…I went back and bought another pair on Sunday.

This may seem like a frivolous post about shopping, but it’s deeper than that. I do think guys have it so much easier in the shopping department…not having to worry about boobs and curves as much, but also, men don’t seem to let the fact that a pair of jeans “didn’t fit” wreck their self-esteem or their whole day. I’ve watched enough What Not to Wear to know I shouldn’t let clothing affect my mood, but it’s hard not to, ya know?

It’s just denim…it’s just denim. I just have to keep telling myself that.

Unknown

Connect with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment