My Adventures in Cooking: Valentine's Day Dinner

Okay, so I've been trying to cook more, which is music to my boyfriend's ears since he does the majority of the cooking in our relationship. I've only cooked for him once (before yesterday)--to be honest it intimidates me. He's a really good cook and can find anything in the fridge/freezer and make something great.

For Valentine's Day I wanted to make dinner for him. As usual, I searched allrecipes.com for the perfect meal and found a couple options. The first was a breaded/baked chicken breast stuffed with feta, spinach, and sun dried tomatoes and the other was basil-tomato tuna steaks. I was pretty much set on the chicken dish but then, after reading the recipe a bit more, discovered there was a LOT of preparation and I just didnt have the time.

So...tuna steaks won. I was nervous because I'm not a big fish person and have NEVER made any type of fish dish. I was brave...I went to the store right after work to pick up all the ingredients, which were minimal:

2, 4 ounce tuna steak fillets (mine were a little bigger, I think) Lucky for me, they were on sale. I'll admit, I was a bit intimidated because I've never bought fresh fish before.

1 medium tomato, chopped

Fresh basil--I bought a small package in the produce section and pulled off 6-8 leaves and cut them into small pieces.

Mozzarella cheese (about 1/4 of a cup per fillet)

2 tablespoons olive oil

It's so easy...you heat up the olive oil on medium in a non stick skillet and turn set your oven to broil (high). Put the tuna fillets in the skillet and brown for 3 minutes per side, while they are cooking, prepare your broiler pan by spraying it with some pam, chop the tomato and basil into small pieces. Once the fillets are browned on each side take place them on the broiler pan, top the fillets with the tomatoes, basil and mozzarella cheese and place under the broiler (4-6 inches below) for 2 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly and golden brown. Serve immediately.

I'm not going to lie, I was VERY proud of myself--they were cooked perfectly and Kevin loved it. I served them with a veggie medley (new potatoes, sugar snap peas, and red peppers) and was planning on rice but didnt have any (oops).

So, my advice? Don't be afraid to try things you've never cooked before--it might just turn out amazing!

Unknown

Connect with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment