What's For Dinner--10-18-10

And I'm back.

Sorry for the absence..it's been super busy at work and life in general. I'm sure you know what that's like. For awhile now I've wanted to blog about cooking--or, rather, my adventures in cooking. It's so hard to motivate myself to come home from work and actually cook something for dinner so I've been trying to be better about it and I'm going to start sharing my cooking adventures with you!

Over the weekend I went grocery shopping and picked up a 3-pack of cube steaks. I rarely have red meat but sometimes it just sounds yummy. I believe that means I need more protein. Far be it for me to deny my cravings. I had no idea what I was going to make with them but hey, I'm up for a culinary adventure!

I came home from work today and made up my mind... I wanted something like Chicken Fried Steak. Yum! I miss my mom's, for sure! No sooner had I made up my mind did I realize I was lacking some ingredients, namely the eggs. I don't like eggs by themselves so I don't usually keep them in the fridge. I didn't want to go to the store so I had to improvise.

I looked in the fridge and found some Dijon mustard and milk. BINGO! I mixed a couple of tablespoons of mustard with the milk to make something to dip the steaks into before dredging them in a flour/salt/pepper mixture. With any adventure, I was a little apprehensive but I pressed on.

I got my pan with about 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil (enough to cover the bottom) heated up and was ready to dip, dredge, and cook. Pretty simple process here folks.

The outcome? Wonderful!

The camera on my phone is definitely not the best but it looks yummy, no? I am trying to add more veggies to my meals so I had a salad and some long grain rice with peas, carrots, and corn (one of the Steam Fresh frozen sides that take like 5 minutes in the microwave and steam in the bag--love them! So easy!)  I think the veggies were done before the steak--they took about 4.5 minutes per side (if that).

I have to say, the mustard/milk combo gave the "breading" a little zip and made the steak a little more tender. All in all, a great experiment. I only made 2 of the 3 steaks so I could take one for lunch tomorrow and the other went into the freezer for another cooking adventure.

When I bought the steaks I also picked up an old standby, chicken breasts, so the next adventure begins later this week.

Unknown

Connect with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment